Thursday, June 7, 2012

Birth: The Sequel



My wife and I recently had our third child.  And by recently I mean Asher is just about two weeks old.  I wanted to get some of my thoughts down still in the freshness of the experience because I know it is often in the thick of a the most draining seasons of life when the best ideas are born.  So, without further ado, thoughts from sleepy father, thrice over.

Wait, before I get started, some recognition for my amazing wife.  Upon witnessing the birth of my first son, Ben, 5 years ago I instantly realized how eternally in debt I am to her.  Tack on two more children since then and I have an infinitesimally small chance of ever enduring anything remotely comparable to what she went through.  She might as well be a Spartan.  Of the 7 years we've been married, she's been pregnant nearly 3.  I must say she is the most graceful child-bearer I have ever seen.  I am more than abundantly blessed in the wife area. 

Advice for bachelors: pray, wait, and save yourself for the person God has for you; it is so worth it.

[Fast forward to a week ago] 

My wife and I are in the hospital waiting through some mild contractions and my wife turns to me with a revelatory look on her face and says...

"Everyone is born."

It took me a minute to track with her but the revelation was simple and profound at the same time.  Here she is, undergoing a somewhat outrageous ordeal just to bring a life into the world and has the thought... everyone has to go through this to exist!  Everyone DID go through this or they wouldn't be here!  Whoa.  My wife then followed the comment up with "Moms should get celebrated more than one day per year."  I tend to agree.

In order to experience life in it's fullest, you must be born, right?  Sure, you are alive in the womb and absolutely a human being, but can you even compare that quality of life to what is waiting for you after your birth day?  No, of course not.  There is a whole land of sights, smells, sounds, colors, and Jelly Belly flavors to partake of.  It would be a shame to live our entire lives in utero.

Well, some of us are doing just that.

[SCENE]

[ENTER NICODEMUS]

Now here's a guy that's got it going on.  He's kind of a big deal among the Pharisees.  In fact, he's a ruler, so he really measures up :)  He's been keeping an eye on this Jesus fellow and likes what he sees. He decides he needs to give Jesus some kudos, what with all of the miracles he's been pulling off and all.  Compliments coming from the Nico-meister are a big deal.

Nicodemus: "Rabbi, we know that You are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him. (John 3:2) 
Jesus: Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. (John 3:3)

Leave it to Jesus to turn a compliment into a teachable moment.  Really, Jesus was setting himself up to answer the question Nico's heart was asking, no doubt sparked by the awe of seeing Jesus flawlessly LIVE and put ACTION to what God laid out in the scriptures he's been studying his whole life as a Pharisee. 

Right about now Nicodemus is thinking "He can't just say something like that and not explain it.  Whatever, I'll bite..."

Nicodemus: "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mothers womb and be born?"  (John 3:4)
Jesus: "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit."  (John 3:5-6)

[INTERMISSION]

So what does that mean?  It means you've got your natural birth and, well, another one. 

Birth: The Sequel. 

The problem is, like Nicodemus, many of us don't know about the second one and are therefore, stuck in the "womb of life", so-to-speak; experiencing a very pale comparison to what life was designed to be like. 

In utero, a fetus has a very rudimentary existence.  They don't have to chew their own food or get up to go to the bathroom or worry about what sleep number to set their mattress at.  When they are little more developed, they can start to detect sound, voices, and even perceive light (which I find ironic considering the metaphor at hand). 

Just the same, some of us walk this big blueberry with no clue there is more purpose to everything around us.  We are essentially in cruise control, existing, getting by, idle, lukewarm... comfortable.  Although there is the perception of freedom, we are still slave to our carnal desires.  Freedom is not doing whatever you want but having the choice to do whatever you want.  In fact, God is the inventor of freedom and worked it in to the design from the get-go (See Genesis 2:16-17, the tree of the knowledge of good and evil).  Internal freedom, that deep down longing everyone is looking for, comes when you learn to make the right choices, and effectively manage your freedom.

[CURTAIN UP]

[ENTER A BEFUDDLED NICODEMUS]

Nicodemus: "How can these things be?" (John 3:9)

[PAUSE]

This very question prompted the most famous and widely quoted statement in the entirety of the Bible.

[RESUME]

Jesus: "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

[CURTAIN DOWN]

Nicodemus wanted to know how a man could be born a second time and Jesus gave him the answer: through Him.  Jesus was about to endure the "labor" pain for all of us to be born again, an act of perfect love that I'm sure mothers are closer to understanding.  All it takes to become a son or daughter is to believe in him and you're part of the family, forevermore.

That said though, being born isn't always easy.  Ask any newborn baby.  They'll probably be sleeping.  It just takes that much out of you.  But unlike newborns, being re-born is a choice.  You have to choose to put behind things you may have been comfortable with and don't want to give up.  You have to address those areas of your heart you've been putting off forever.  You have fully and utterly put your life in the hands of someone else.  But let me tell you, those nail-wounded hands are more than capable of working with whatever mess you bring to the table.

...

If you're feeling a tug on your heart, you should do something about it.  You can literally make the best decision you have ever made right now and it is just as valid as making it in a church.  God can hear you no matter where you're at.  Simply pray out loud and from your heart in all sincerity to God.  There are no "magic words" to recite because God sees through to your heart no matter what you're saying but use this as a guide...

"God, I realize that life is not all about me.  I am far from perfect and I've messed up a lot.  I am sorry for those things I've done wrong and I ask for Your forgiveness.  I recognize now that I need a Savior.  Jesus, I give my life to you and I decide from today forward to dedicate my actions, words, and thoughts to honoring You. I turn away from my past and invite you to come rule and reign in my heart.  In Jesus name, Amen."

If you just prayed that or something like it, welcome to the fam!  Here are a few things to get you started on some baby steps:
  • Track down someone you know who believes and lives this out and tell them about your decision so they can share in your excitement and celebrate with you.
  • Look for a church community to become a part of. It might take some time but you'll know when you find the right place. A good church can help answer your questions, help you find direction in life, have people you can connect with, and good friends to share your core values.
  • Start reading the Bible as regularly as you can.  God has revealed so many things about His heart to me just through reading His Word.  I recommend starting in John and continuing through the books after that.
Welcome to the first day of the rest of your life!


No comments:

Post a Comment